In the mini soccer section Cougars Under8’s Blues returned to mini soccer action in difficult wet and windy conditions at The Bury on Saturday against a strong Bishop Stortford outfit. Wesley Cook’s side put in a great performance and the drenched windblown crowd was treated to a great strike from Lal Wennington. Aiden Nash earned the man of the match accolade. In the second match Buntingford Under8s Whites worked tirelessly and showed lots of development despite the tricky surface, Oliver Heather scooped the man of the match for Ken Hayes side. In his interview with Gary Linekar after the game Manager Wesley Cook said “The result is not important. I was really impressed with our youngster’s enormous efforts in uncomfortable conditions”.

Cougars Under 7’s at The Bury and enjoyed a convincing win against neighbours Royston Town. The Blues conceded none and saw strikes from Dempsy Crace with a hat trick and Rylee Kitteringham with a brace. The Whites enjoyed even more goals as nets bulged after strikes from Bear Wennington, Ben Lewis, Miles Arnold and five goals from Miles Woodford.

In the 9v9 section Cougars Under11s Whites put in a fantastic performance away to Letchworth Reds who had won the fixture 4-1 only a month ago. Dean Howard’s hard working side started brightly when Casey Heenan deservedly smashed in a goal from a tight angle after some hard work in the box. Shortly after Josh Lucas doubled the lead after he latched onto a corner ball from close range. Heenan then doubled his tally before the hosts managed to pull one back just before the interval. Lucas also then doubled his strike rate in the second half to make it 4-2. Letchworth pulled one back before the end of the game but Cougars managed to hold on for a deserved victory in which longstanding Cougars player Robin Harpin earned the man of the match award. Guv’nor Dean Howard was delighted after the game telling Sky Sports “the boys deserved their victory today after some hard work at training and a Herculean effort in the game.”

Cougars U11s Blues ran out victors against Letchworth Blacks. Darryl Dean’s side went ahead through George Godfrey midway through the first half after some great work from Jack Gurney and Jack Lally. The hosts equalized form a corner before half time but Buntingford’s winner came courtesy of Gurney mid way through the second half shortly after skipper Jake Vottariello hit the post with a long range effort. Lily Hall was player of the match after a technical master class from the bright midfielder.

Paul Skinner’s Under12’s enjoyed an emphatic victory over Hatfield courtesy of hat-tricks from Ryan Skinner and Freddy Payne to compliment a brace from Will Littleford and a goal from Jack Piggott.
Cougars Under15’s travelled to Barnet in the 2nd round of the league cup for their first game in a month and enjoyed one of their brightest performances of the season. From the first whistle Buntingford pressed hard and played good possession football against a well organised Barnet rear guard. Luke Garratt settled quickly into his new central midfield role alongside Matt Adams and the pair was winning the centre of the park. The home keeper is one of the best about and early Matt Share, Liam Smith and Archie Rhodes strikes were well saved. On 20 minutes the breakthrough came when Matt Inman and Smith won the ball and centred for Rhodes who made no mistake from 10yards. The second came five minutes later when Adams won the ball on the half way line and charged forward before letting fly from 25yrd with a super strike into the top right corner.
With a fierce wind against Cougars in the second half Barnet got off to a good start when a rushed clearance left Jay Caine no chance. The hosts buoyed by the goal pushed on and Caine showed fantastic handling in swirling conditions to thwart their crosses however he could do little when the hosts equalized after Cougars had over committed. After the setback Cougars showed great composure and got on top again and deservedly secured the winning goal after a Reece Knapp run saw the lively midfielder fouled. The resultant free kick was cleared but only to Owen Groves who from 15 yards sent it into the net with interest. The visitors saw out the final fifteen minutes with composed authority.
After the game gaffer Chris Adams told TalkSports Alan Brazil “Having not played in a month I was pleased today how we found our rhythm against a side that were full of confidence from beating the league leaders the week before. A good all round team effort but special mentions go to Luke Garratt who dropped into central midfield and gave a very accomplished performance and Matt Adams whose strike was one for the Adams family scrapbook.”

Elsewhere Buntingford’s Under13s Blues lost out at home to high flying Royston Town whilst the Under13s Whites won against Barmond. Cougars Under14’s and Under16’s Whites both lost heavily to Manuden and Melbourn respectively.

Share the Post: