Buntingford Cougars’ Under15’s hosted Harlow in the Mid Herts league cup quarter final at The Bury on Sunday. Both sides did well to put on a great spectacle in front of a large crowd despite atrociously wet and windy conditions.

Cougars, playing with the wind behind them in the first half started strongly and went close early on with Matty Adams heading narrowly wide Archie Rhodes hitting a post. Luke Garratt and Owen Groves created good opportunities but were unable to convert before the half time whistle sounded for a goal less first half.

Early in the second half it took a good ten minutes for Buntingford to get accustomed to the wind in their faces until they managed to get the ball down. Jay Caine in goal started to cleverly play goal kicks short to Danny Curtis who was always making himself available and allowing Cougars to get up the pitch.

At that point the heavens truly opened and the referee rightly halted play for ten minutes as conditions became unplayable. The game re-started ten minutes later after which the hosts had as much of the play as Harlow, again hitting the post and then having an opportunity hacked off the line. Caine’s handling was immaculate in tough conditions keeping Harlow at bay but the Essex side are a quality outfit and were constantly threatening the home side’s goal and on 70 minutes they headed home after the Buntingford defense were unable to clear a corner. Following the goal Chris Adam’s side threw what they had left at the cause but couldn’t create a good opportunity and with the seconds running out Harlow run in a second goal in the dying seconds of the match.


After the game a drenched but philosophical Cougars Boss Chris Adams (pictured) told Sky Sports News “The boys done well today in difficult conditions. Harlow are a good side and they knew they’d been in a game today. Special mentions for Luke Garratt and Owen Groves who worked tirelessly for us today”.

Buntingford Cougars Under11’s Stripes continued their great run of form as they returned from Ashwell with all three points. Ian Jenkins side went into the half time interval with a wind assisted four goal cushion but there were nervous moments at the end of the match after the home side replied with three and were all out for the equalizer. Cougars defensive team of Ed Green, George Hegarty and Adam Richmond did a sterling job at keeping the hosts down to three in the fierce wind.

Cougars Under11’s Blues scored twice against league leaders FC Comets at Buntingford’s London Road pitch courtesy of Jack Lally and Jack Gurney but it was not enough as Comets went away with a three – two victory. Charlie Fountain earned himself the man of the match award. Buntingford’s Under11’s Whites also played their league leaders as St Neots traveled down the A1M to Buntingford but even after Tom Carter and Casey Heenan scored two goals for Dean Howard’s side it was not enough as St Neots took the three points back to Huntingdonshire.

Elsewhere Tom Curtis’ Under7s had a great morning at The Bury where Goalkeeper TJ Curtis (pictured) took the man of the match accolade away after a great performance and Cougars Under6’s played their second match at Baldock with some great football being played.


Elsewhere Buntingford’s Under12’s won away at Royston town whilst in the Under13’s both Cougars teams drew one each;  Richard Thorpe’s Blues shared the spoils at second placed Shefford and the Whites left with the single point from Bassingbourn. In the Under16’s Sean Curran’s Buntingford Blues had a great result away to Sawbridgeworth winning four two as they just stay in touch with the leaders with one match to play for both teams.

Share the Post: