On the Saturday of Easter weekend preparations for next season continued apace for the Cougars Under8s Blues with a 7-a-side game vs Biggleswade at the Carlsberg Stadium; probably the best venue the Blues have performed at to date. Oliver Tallis in goal, Sebbie Ivison left, Joseph De Monte right, Ronnie Hennessey centre-back, Tom Flanagan directing proceedings from the centre, and a front pairing of Thomas Deane and Charlie Wick.

A really evenly matched contest from the off. The back three for the Blues were terrific closing down and preventing space. The Blues were an attacking threat with Deane wing play causing a lot of danger for Biggleswade – a cross created a good chance for Wick first and then another cross was converted on the run by Flanagan for a fine finish and the lead. Then Deane had a left foot strike himself but it was well saved. The attacking continued, Ivison with a driving left wing run and shot just wide and then Flanagan breaking down the left but from his pass Wick just couldn’t convert.

All this attacking soon led to the second for the Blues. From a Flanagan corner, the Number 9 leapt like a salmon to plant an unbelievable header past the keeper. Big Duncan Ferguson himself would have been proud of that one.

Biggleswade were making a game of it but great keeping by Tallis throughout kept them at bay in the first half. He was also an attacking threat too. From a lengthy throw to Deane, the winger touched it round the corner to a rampaging Flanagan driving from midfield but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

In the second half, the capacity crowd were in for a treat. Almost from the off, Ivison closed down a defender, robbed him of the ball and slotted past the keeper. The Blues were cruising. Pinball in the area almost brought a fourth with Flanagan, Deane and a defender all testing the keeper and the post.

But the tide turned with Biggleswade pulling level. 3 quick fire goals from the number 9, giving him 4 in total for the game. An excellent performance. Which team was going to come out on top?

Ivison took matters into his own hands, driving from the back past a couple players and slid in Flanagan for a tidy low finish. And as the game was coming to a close, the Blues made certain. First, Tallis to Ivison, first time pass down the line to Deane who delivered a half-volleyed cross in to the box which Wick took advantage of to score. And within 30 seconds, Ivison crossed to wick for a great near post finish just as the referee was blowing up for full time.

Share the Post: